Monday, June 30, 2008

WORDS OF WISDOM FROM LIZ PHAIR

It's no secret to anyone who knows me that I'm a big Liz Phair fan. My friend Larry has suggested that it's because I'm straight and want to sleep with her. I don't doubt that many artists - particularly females - get attention because of their looks, and Liz is definitely a good looking woman. But not even the hottest woman on earth's looks will help the experience of listening to her bad record. You don't hear me rockin The Pussycat Dolls or Danity Kane or whoever.

Anyway, in a recent interview with emusic, Liz talks about her experiences with major labels. After venting a bit here is what she said:

"I mean, God, what happened to leaders? Where did they go? What is with the dysfunction in seats of power? How do they get there? I was talking about this with my mom, and what we came up with is that they're willing to do stuff other people aren't. They are willing to stab in the back, or they don’t have particularly healthy personal lives. So they rise and rise because people who want to protect what they have tend to step out of the way when they see people like this."

This is an interesting comment, not just about record labels, but also corporations, and even (or especially) politics. It probably describes, to certain extents, guys like Karl Rove and Dick Cheney. But I hope that Barack Obama is a different kind of guy.

No comments: