Monday, June 16, 2008

OFF TO THE RACES!

Back in April, I wrote about wanting to run a mini-triathlon, and I've written a bit about it since

Over the weekend, I spent a bit of time seeing if I could actually do it. On Saturday, I wrote 20 miles on my bicycle, followed by a 3 mile run in hot and humid weather. On Saturday, I swam about a half mile, drove 10 minutes home, got on my bicycle, wrote 20 miles (some of it in fairly hard rain, and at that point, I was cold and was having a hard time warming up), followed by a 3 mile run. I decided that I would rather not do one of these events if it was too hot, too humid, too cold or raining. Of course, you can't plan life that way. 

So, I've just signed up for the Parvin State Park Triathlon. 1/4 mile swim (as I've mentioned, harder than it sounds), 15 mile bike ride and a 3 mile run. My bicycle is in the shop getting a tune up, I'm getting a bike rack on the car, I've booked a nearby hotel, and I think I'm ready. I was going to bypass renting a wetsuit, but now I'm reconsidering that. Swimming 1/4 mile in warm water is hard, in cool water might be really tiring. 

Today, when I took my bicycle (really my dad's - it was probably pretty modern when he got it ten years ago or so) to the shop, the guy was like, "Obviously, you don't expect to go to far on that, right?" I've gone 80 miles on it in the past two weeks! I told him I just wanted a tune up so that I don't have problems halfway through the race. "Well, I can't guarantee that!" Thanks, dude! 

I imagine people at the race will have specially fitted space age wet suits, goggles and bicycles. Not me. But I'm not in this to beat anyone. I just want to cross the finish line. Wish me luck! 

No comments: