Monday, January 5, 2009

A DAY AT THE OPERA

My aunt recently took my wife and I (and my cousin) to The Metropolitan Opera's presentation of Mozart's "The Magic Flute," directed by Julie Taymor. My aunt has wanted to take us to the opera for a while - I've never been a fan, although I am a bit familiar with the opera, since I deal with The Met a bit at my day job. She figured, this was a children's opera, in English and was only about two hours long, it would be a good intro. 

Visually, it was spectacular, Julie Taymor did some pretty cool stuff. But otherwise, I had to admit that I couldn't get into it. The story didn't really grip me (I've been told that that isn't the point - but why have a story if the story isn't great, why not just a song-cycle?). It wasn't the music - I enjoy classical music. I just can't get into that style of singing, I guess. I realize that it takes a lot of skill, and a lot of emotion goes into it, but it just wasn't for me. 

When people are asked what kind of music they like, they like to say "everything," and so do I. If you check out my music blog, I cover rock, blues, country, hip-hop, reggae and R&B from lots of different eras.  But I just can't get into opera, so I guess I can't say "everything." Still, I'm glad I had the chance to experience it, at least once, I think it's something that people should at least try - but I would advise you to stick with a two hour one (some operas go over five hours!). 

No comments: