Thursday, August 21, 2008

DOES IT EVER REALLY NEED TO CHANGE?

Last night, I woke up next to my sleeping wife, surrounded by two sleeping dogs and three cats. It was just one of those moments that you wish you could preserve forever. Can't it always be this way? Does it really need to change?

Of course, it didn't last: one of my cats, as she is prone to do, was bugging me about feeding her, hours before her breakfast time. I lured her and another cat out of our room, gave them a bit of food, and rushed back into the bedroom, closing the door and going back to sleep.

This morning, I woke again to their funny, muted complaints outside the door. I am on "stay-cation," so by this time it was a few hours past breakfast. I fed them, which woke up the dogs, who didn't just want food: they wanted to play. To avoid waking my wife, I took them into our backyard (yes, enclosed by a picket fence) and let them run and play as the beautiful sun was making its way into the sky. When they tired themselves out, I took them back in, they settled briefly into our room, where the cats where finding their spots for their next snoozes. Another perfect little moment. Until one of the dogs complained about not getting enough attention, so I lured her into another room.

I know this whole thing can sound a bit mundane, but noticing it and appreciating it is part of my effort to appreciate great moments as they are happening.

No comments: